September 25, 2011
This post is aimed at those attending the training session I will be giving next month to policy researchers in the framework of the EXACT Marie-Curie project. If you’re attending, comment to this post to let me know what you’d like me to focus on. If you’re not attending, fire away anyway.
So I was just asked to give a training on ‘the European online public space’. This is a vast subject; I’m not exactly sure how one can be trained in somethign which doesn’t exist; and I only have one hour. So I’ll probably just make a presentation on some aspects.
One thing I am not going to focus on is “How do I set up a Facebook page / Twitter account / LinkedIn profile / Google+ / Blog?“. To begin with, I’m informed you already use social media personallyIf not, feel free to get ripped off by the legions of social media experts out there, but know that they are completely unnecessary – all social media platforms provide all the help you’ll ever need, and there’s much, much more help than you can possibly consume, freely available, on YouTube and elsewhere. And if you want to set up a blog, try out wordpress.com or – for those with an EU focus, the Blogactiv.eu platform. But the most basic advice is to just try stuff out (in your own name, not that of your organisation).
So what should I cover?
Alternatively, here are some possibilities we could explore:
- what is the Brussels bubble (and why should you care)? read everything tagged #bxlbbl if you’re a masochist; or start with The Brussels bubble may be growing, but it’s still a bubble
- how do we link it to national conversations? Try:
- what are some challenges?
- transparency – see Does more transparency make better comms?
- groupthink – the latest on this was What “The Filter Bubble” means for the Brussels Bubble, but my experience when launching Blogactiv remains my personal reference
- scale – see Can EU social media scale to the EU?
- someone poisoning the well;
- multilingualism (aka “the meeting-killer“) – you could read everything tagged multilingualism, or just start with the latest – Why my beard won’t save Belgium
So do some reading, let me know what interests you (or not, as the case may be) in the comments below. Be sure to mention who you are and why you’re interested in whatever it is you want me to cover. I look forward to meeting you.
PS If you’re curious who I am